Church of England

Tel: 01905 746800

Freedom of Information

What is the Freedom of Information Act 2000?

The Freedom of Information Act (FoI) is a law that affects all public sector organisations and came into full force on 1 January 2005.  It gives you greater access to information held by all public organisations, local and central government, including Bishop Perowne CE College, and lets you find out more about what we do, how we arrive at decisions and how we spend public money.

Access to information- Bishop Perowne CE College's Publication Scheme

To make it easier for you to access information, many publications are already available directly from the Bishop Perowne website or the School Office.

Can I see all the information that Bishop Perowne CE College holds?

If you are seeking information which is not available through our website or Publication Scheme, you may ask to see any information that we hold. However, some information may be subject to exemptions that are written into the Act. There are a number of exemptions which cover a range of areas such as information that is 'reasonably accessible' elsewhere (for example, within the Publication Scheme or on the Bishop Perowne CE College website). Some other examples of information that may be exempt are: school inspection evidence; information obtained in confidence by Bishop Perowne CE College, either during inspections or through complaints; personal data; information relating to regulatory enforcement action.

What if I can't find what I'm looking for?

If the information you are seeking does not appear on our website or in the Publication Scheme, you can make a request in writing to Bishop Perowne CE College.

You can review our disclosure log which lists responses to requests made to us under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the Environmental Information Regulations 2004 to see if the information has been requested previously.

Making a request

Bishop Perowne CE College will need to record your request, contact you and locate the relevant information. To help us do this, your request: must be made in writing (emails are encouraged); should state your name and contact address and, if possible, a contact phone number; should give precise details of the information you seek. If a request is very general we may need to contact you to clarify your request.

Who should I contact?

The handling of FOI requests is the responsibility of the Business Manager.  To submit requests for information please send an email:

Or send a written request by post to:

Bishop Perowne Church of England College,
Merriman's Hill Road,

Will it cost me anything?

There will not usually be a charge for supplying information. However if the request involves photocopying, it may be necessary to make a charge. In all cases, we will let you know if there is a cost before we start work so that you can choose whether to pay it or to modify your request.

How long will I have to wait for the information?

Usually the information will be sent to you within 20 school working days of your request. It may take longer if we need to clarify your request or if we need to consider whether exemptions apply to the information you have asked for. If your request is put on hold for any reason, we will keep you informed and, where possible, give an expected date for your response.

How many requests can I make?

The Freedom of Information Act does not place a limit on the amount of requests you can make. However, under Section 12 of the Act, we can reserve the right to refuse a request if it is likely to take longer than three working days to find, sort and edit the information requested. We will give you the opportunity to refine your request if we think it is likely to exceed the limit under the Act. If we receive several requests from the same person, or a series of requests that we think are intended to disrupt our work, these may be treated as repeated or vexatious. In this case we would write to you and explain how we reached this decision.

How will the information be provided to me?

You can tell us how you would like to receive the information and we will try to comply with your wishes. If it is not possible to do so we will notify you and offer an alternative.

How can I use the information I receive?

The Freedom of Information Act allows access to information, but it does not give the requestor permission to re-use that information for commercial gain. Therefore, you may reproduce our copyright protected content free of charge, without specific permission, provided you are not reproducing it for profit, material or financial gain. You must reproduce the material accurately and not use it in a misleading context. If you are publishing the material or issuing it to others, you must acknowledge its source, copyright status and the date of publication, if known. This permission to reproduce our copyright protected material does not extend to any material that is identified as being the copyright of a third party. You must seek authorisation to reproduce such material from the copyright holder concerned.

How do I appeal or make a complaint?

We hope we can resolve most issues with you, but if you wish to make a formal complaint about the way we have dealt with your request for information you should do this in writing. You should explain what aspects of the response or its handling you wish Bishop Perowne CE College to investigate by writing either by email or post to:

Information Commissioner, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF


Can I use the Freedom of Information Act to see information about me or my children?

No, any requests received for personal information will be dealt with under the Data Protection Act.

We use cookies to help provide you with the best possible online experience.
By using this site, you agree that we may store and access cookies on your device. You can find out more and set your own preferences here.